Canvas Studio is a communication tool that allows instructors and students to actively collaborate through video and audio. Studio's interface lets students and instructors engage with media content by commenting directly on the media timeline. Students can learn from each other's insights, as well as from the instructor's direction and feedback.
Canvas Studio is an interactive media tool that's fully integrated into Canvas. It allows students and instructors to create, upload, edit, manage, share, and discuss audio and video files via webcam, screen-share, or both. Instructors can also add custom quiz questions within videos, using True/False, multiple choice, or multiple answer questions.
In Canvas Studio, you can upload media files from your device or record new media directly into the tool. Studio supports rich communication, collaboration, and interactivity between students and instructors, and provides a fully integrated video experience.
- Media can be embedded with or without comments.
- After media is embedded, instructors can manage all media settings and functionality for course media, including setting user details and viewing analytics.
- Instructors can manage comments in all course media.
- Captions can be added, or you can request AI-generated captions.
- You can easily edit captions for accuracy.
- Studio's asset management automatically organizes media to help users find content easily.
- Media owners can also view media engagement through user analytics. Studio's analytics allow instructors to quickly and easily analyze the media students are viewing, how long they are viewing, and when they stop viewing.
How to Use
- Studio is a component of Canvas and can be accessed from any SRJC Canvas course shell via either the Global Navigation or Course Navigation menus.
- Click to begin recording your first video, either via webcam or screen-share.
- You can also add a video from YouTube, or upload a video.
- Then add questions throughout for students to answer.
- When creating an assignment, under Submission Type, choose Online & check File Upload to enable students to submit via Canvas Studio.
Guides and Tutorials
- See the DE Canvas Studio Overview page with links to videos and guides on using Studio. A small sampling of the most basic links:
Watch the Managing Studio Media instructional video to learn how to create, import, edit, and caption Studio videos in a Canvas course.
Watch the Using Studio instructional video - and consider providing it to your students, if you are asking them to use Studio in your class.