VoiceThread increases student interaction and engagement in an online setting.
VoiceThread is a tool that enables instructors to create online instructional materials made up of any combination of PowerPoint or PDF slides, images, documents, and/or videos. Comments can be added to any uploaded media by instructors and students in the form of video (webcam), audio, or text.
Tailor class content for multiple disciplines and diverse instructional needs in your online courses. For example:
- Introduction Activity: Have students record video introductions.
- Syllabus Overview: Review the syllabus using “doodle” tools to highlight points.
- Group Discussions: Share documents, images, or video for discussion.
- Group Projects: Assign a VoiceThread to a group and have them edit or add content.
- Language Learning: Have students record comments to practice conversation.
- Art/Design/Film/Theater Critique: Create a VoiceThread in which students upload and discuss work.
- Case Studies (e.g. Health): Build a case study. Have students anticipate/discuss outcomes.
How to Use
There are 2 ways VoiceThread can be added to a Canvas course:
- Create a direct external tool link in a module.
This is a non-graded activity link, and is ideal for sharing a presentation created in VoiceThread. The link directs students to one of the following
- the instructor's VoiceThread home (library)
- the VoiceThreads for a particular course
- an individual VoiceThread.
Read more about VoiceThread links
- Create an assignment that uses VoiceThread as an External submission tool.
This is a graded activity that links to the Canvas gradebook.
Assignment types include: Watch, Comment, or Create.
Read more about assignment types