SRJC’s Canvas license allows the District to use the system for both instructional and non-instructional purposes. Canvas instructional course sites (shells) are created automatically through SRJC’s Student Information System. Non-instructional course sites are created manually by the SRJC Canvas Administrator.
SRJC employees* wishing to use Canvas for non-instructional purposes will need to:
- Complete a new Canvas user account request form if you are new to Canvas.
- Complete a Non-Course Related Course Shell request form.
- Agree to use Canvas within the guidelines set forth in the Computer and Communications Technology Use Board Policy 2.13P.
*Note that non-instructional course shells will be created for SRJC employees only.
When adding users to the non-instructional shell, it is highly recommended to add users by SID rather than email address. See this helpful Canvas guide.
Support for non-instructional use of Canvas is provided by Instructure’s Canvas support team which is available 24/7/365. A toll-free phone number is listed on the Help menu when logged into Canvas.
Other non-Canvas related technology support is provided by SRJC’s Information Technology Department Help Desk available during normal business hours.
Other Resources for Non-Instructional Collaboration
You may also want to consider the following resources when choosing a platform for non-instructional collaboration:
- Basecamp 3 (Web-based collection of tools used for project collaboration funded by the District, Contact IT Department)
- Drupal Websites for Departments and Groups (Drupal is the District’s Web Content Management System)
- Office 365 for Education (Office 365 is the District’s Cloud-based Productivity Services Suite)
- Free Canvas accounts not tied to SRJC can be obtained at the Canvas website