Welcome to Online Special Expertise. The Distance Education department at SRJC offers an Online Special Expertise certificate training course that is delivered in Canvas, the course management system at SRJC.
To be successful in this course, prior Canvas experience is strongly recommended. This is not an introductory course. If you have not had experience with Canvas and/or teaching online, please sign up for our Canvas Basics workshops. Additionally please sign up for this short self-guided training Canvas Training-Self Paced @ONE. Finally, you can download the Canvas Videos for Instructors (PDF) and review the short Canvas tutorials.
By the end of the course, you will:
- Learn how to customize a distance learning course using strategies to increase student engagement
- Create and organize instructional material to promote active and engaged students
- Identify strategies and tools and for designing activities that support engagement and collaboration between students online
- Design a course discussion using instructional techniques that foster an environment for online collaboration between students
- Develop an assessment, utilizing technology to assist with feedback
- Identify resources and tools to address accessibility needs that might arise when developing a distance learning course
- Apply effective instructional design practices by creating one complete instructional module to be used in your course