The Canvas version of the online Student Evaluation form was approved by DTREC on November 1, 2016 and is available for use by faculty. The information below only outlines the logistics of the process. Please direct all questions about evaluations to the All Faculty Association.
The form needs to be controlled by the person doing the evaluation (Evaluator). Generally that means the Department Chair or other faculty, not the instructor being evaluated. The person compiling the results of the form (Compiler) is generally a department administrative assistant, though it may be the same person as the Evaluator, or someone else.
To begin the process, the Evaluator needs to complete the form below.
Once the request is completed, all of the following will occur:
- A Canvas course will be created that contains only the Student Evaluation survey and instructions.
- All students in the original course (the one being used for evaluation) will be enrolled as "Students."
- The Evaluator and Compiler will be enrolled as "Teachers."
- All students will receive an email invitation to complete the survey.
- The Evaluator and Compiler will also receive an email invitation.
- A confirmation email from DEsupport stating the request is complete will be sent to the Evaluator and Compiler.
The Evaluator and Compiler can then decide when to retrieve and analyze the results of the survey, as well as when to delete the results from the Canvas system. Note that email notifications will not be sent out when students complete the survey.
Guides and Instructions
Evaluation instructions are on the HR website under HR DEPARTMENT > HR FORMS > Evaluations
- After unzipping the appropriate evaluation archive, see the document “DTREC_Guidelines for Evaluating Online Instruction Rev 12-16-16.docx” for online evaluation instructions.
- Arranging access to the instructor’s instructional Canvas course is between the evaluator and the instructor.
- Download the guide PDF: Compiling Online Instructor Evaluation Student Feedback
Note that if you don't know/have an SID, you can leave that field blank. However, add five business days to complete this request.
Please email email@example.com with any questions about this form or process or if you have questions about the directions for using the formatting tool.