The Canvas version of the online Student Evaluation form was approved by DTREC on November 1, 2016 and is available for use by faculty. The information below only outlines the logistics of the process. Please direct all questions about evaluations to the All Faculty Association.
The form needs to be controlled by the person doing the evaluation (Evaluator). Generally that means the Department Chair or other faculty, not the instructor being evaluated. The person compiling the results of the form (Compiler) is generally a department administrative assistant, though it may be the same person as the Evaluator, or someone else.
To begin the process, the Evaluator needs to complete the form below.
Note that if you don't know/have an SID, enter something indicating so since it is a required form field. However, add five business days for this request to be complete.
Once the request is completed by DE Support, all of the following will occur:
- A Canvas course will be created that contains only the Student Evaluation survey and instructions.
- All students in the original course (the one being used for evaluation) will be enrolled as "Students."
- The Evaluator and Compiler will be enrolled as "Teachers."
- All students will receive an email invitation to complete the survey.
- All students of a cross-listed course will receive the invitation to participate. There is currently no method to separate responses by section.
- The Evaluator and Compiler will also receive an email invitation.
- A confirmation email from DE Support stating the request is complete will be sent to the Evaluator and Compiler.
The Evaluator and Compiler can then decide when to retrieve and analyze the results of the survey, as well as when to delete the results from the Canvas system. Note that email notifications will not be sent out when students complete the survey.
Guides and Instructions
Evaluation instructions are on the HR website under HR DEPARTMENT > HR FORMS > Evaluations
- After unzipping the appropriate evaluation archive, see the document “DTREC_Guidelines for Evaluating Online Instruction Rev 12-16-16.docx” for online evaluation instructions.
- Arranging access to the instructor’s instructional Canvas course is between the evaluator and the instructor.
- Download the guide PDF: Compiling Online Instructor Evaluation Student Feedback
- Download the guide PDF: How to Add Users to a Canvas Course by SRJC Email Address
Management, Classified, and contract employees are manually provisioned Canvas accounts. If the user you want to add is not found, then have them submit a request to have a Canvas account provisioned.
After compiling the student feedback, simply unstar/unfavorite the Evaluation Student Feedback course to remove it from your Canvas Dashboard.
Existing Term dates will remove the course from the student's Canvas Dashboard at the appropriate time.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this form or process or if you have questions about the directions for using the formatting tool.