Some publisher content can be integrated into a course within the college's course management system (Canvas).
Advantages of integrating your textbook materials into Canvas include:
- Students are authenticated through the LMS, rather than needing a separate account/login through the publisher
- Instructors can provide scaffolding for the textbook materials in Canvas that include:
- Student Learning Objectives and how they relate to the publisher materials
- Supporting instructions for completing activities and/or assignments
- Technical support information
- Instructors can also use their Canvas course to provide students with:
- A syllabus
- Contact information
- A calendar that spans all their courses
- Methods and a timeline for collecting and returning work
- Guidelines and expectations with respect to interactions
- Resources for college support services
- Explanations of optional and/or required software
- Information regarding institutional policies and procedures
How to Use
Instructors will need to acquire some "codes" from the publisher to ensure the correct text and materials are linked to the course. Please reach out to your publisher’s representative to acquire the correct codes. SRJC’s Distance Education staff is not able to acquire those on your behalf.
Generally, there are two ways to access publisher content and integrate it into your Canvas course.
- Look to see if a Publisher App has already been added to Canvas.
- Within your course, click on the Settings link from the course navigation.
- Click on the App tab, then click on the Installed link. It may take a moment or two to see the installed Apps appear.
- Add an Assignment
- In editing mode, scroll down to the Submission type.
- From the drop down menu choose External Tool.
- Click in the field under External Tool URL. Look for the publisher in the Configure External Tool dialog box.
Help and Documentation
As integrations are added, specific publisher guides and instructions for using the materials within Canvas will be posted here.
Cengage Learning’s MindLinks enables instructors to integrate MindTap content into their Canvas courses, eliminating multiple logins for students.
Follow the procedures outlined in this PDF to configure your course to use MindLinks and to test connectivity to Cengage Learning.
If you need to contact Cengage for assistance synchronizing your gradebook in Canvas or other technical issues, you can contact Doug Jones via email (email@example.com) or use this link to schedule a 15-minute appointment phone appointment.
Go to Pearson LMS Integration Services - Look for information on Canvas. Currently, click on the LTI Advantage Integration link under the LMS Integration Support Resources heading. Click on the Canvas logo. Check out the Support Resources choices. Also feel free to reach out to the SRJC Pearson representative:
Matthew Walker: (602) 750-8129
Or contact Pearson's Instructor Technical Support: (877) 864-8847 M-F, 8AM to 8 PM, EST
The Macmillan app has been installed in Canvas and is accessed in Modules. When you add an item, choose External Tool. The first semester you use it, import LaunchPad content into your Canvas course. Each semester, pair your Canvas course with a LaunchPad course. Contact your publisher representative for access key and more information.
MCGRAW HILL - MH CAMPUS
MH Campus has been installed in Canvas, and is accessed in Modules. When you add an item, choose External Tool. Contact your publisher representative for access key and more information.