From within Canvas, UDOIT will scan a course, generate a report, and provide resources on how to address common accessibility issues.
The Universal Design Online Content Inspection Tool, or UDOIT (pronounced, “You Do It”) enables faculty to identify accessibility issues in their Canvas courses, and provides an interface for fixing any issues.
How to Use
Activating the UDOIT tool by adding to Canvas navigation
UDOIT is already installed in Canvas. To access it:
- Go to Canvas Course Settings
- Choose the Navigation tab
- Find UDOIT and drag it to the top area of your course navigation to make it active.
- You will see a link to UDOIT in the course navigation.
- This link will not be seen by students.
- Repeat for each of your courses.
Run a Report and Fix Issues
- Click on the UDOIT navigation in the Course Navigation.
- Choose which elements of Canvas to scan, such as Assignments, Discussions, Pages, etc.
- NOTE: In Files, documents will not be adequately tested
- NOTE: UDOIT cannot be relied on for testing videos linked to or embedded on pages.
- Click on the Green Button - Scan This Course.
- It may take a few minutes for the scan to run.
- A scan will appear with a summary of any issues present.
- Each issue will be listed and separated by content type (ie: Assignments, Pages, etc.)
- Expand the accordion of each issue to reveal the error(s), view the source of the error(s), and for most errors an interface for fixing the issue.
Guides and Tutorials
To request Help, submit a DistanceEd Help Request.