State Authorization

The United States Department of Education regulation 4 C.F.R.§ 600.9(c) requires each state to apply for and receive authorization to provide online/distance education programs to out-of-state students.

The Department of Education requires all post-secondary educational institutions to be legally authorized to provide post-secondary educational instruction in their states. As such, Santa Rosa Junior College and its online/distance education programs must be authorized in certain states prior to offering those courses or programs to students residing in those states.

Admission of out-of-state applicants to an online program or individual course offered by SRJC is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence. If SRJC has not been authorized by the applicant's state of residence to offer online, distance, and correspondence education, the applicant is not eligible for enrollment in an online program or individual course at the College.

The College reserves the right to refuse enrollment to any student wishing to enroll in online courses if the student resides in a state where Santa Rosa Junior College is not authorized to offer distance education.

How is SRJC maintaining compliance?

SRJC is complying with Federal Requirements by monitoring incoming applicants for out-of-state students who may wish to enroll in online programs or individual courses. If an applicant from a State not authorized by SRJC attempts to enroll, the College will notify the student of their ineligibility and remove them from courses for which they are registered.

State Authorization Student Complaint Procedure

Santa Rosa Junior College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. If you are an out-of-state student taking online courses and an issue cannot be resolved internally you may file a complaint or grievance about SRJC with your state of residence. 

  1. For complaints regarding grades follow the Santa Rosa Junior College policies located in the Santa Rosa Junior College Catalog.
  2. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your state. This page provides information by state. Here is a direct link to a PDF with a list of the offices in each state where complaints may be addressed.
  3. For California residents, issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented to the State of California using the State Complaint Process. Students are encouraged to follow Santa Rosa Junior College’s complaint and grievance process before attempting to file a complaint with the state. To file a complaint with the State of California, refer to this page on the California Community College Chancellor’s Office website.