Back to EdToolkit Home
TechConnect Zoom provides a way for SRJC staff, faculty, students, and their guests to communicate remotely over the web.
TechConnect Zoom is an online video conferencing tool for students and instructors. TechConnect Zoom integrates with Canvas and includes many features, including:
- Host meetings with up to 300 participants
- Meeting duration of up to 24 hours
- Can hold video or audio meetings
- Join/Host meetings via a computer or mobile device
- Participants do not need an account to join meetings
- Screen sharing for presentations and collaboration
- Host and guests able to draw on a whiteboard and annotate screen
- Plug-in for Outlook calendar to allow easy scheduling
- Ability to record to the Cloud or Locally to computer or external drive
- Text chat with everyone in the meeting or with individuals present
How to Use
Scale: The tool can scale to accommodate up to 300 users per meeting, and has the ability to subdivide larger groups into smaller subgroups via breakout rooms.
Ease of Use: The tool has a learner interface that may be confusing to some; there is limited opportunity for personalization.
Hypermediality: The tool allows users to communicate through different channels (audio, visual, textual) but is limited in its ability to provide non-sequential, flexible/adaptive engagement with material. At this time, ability to add captions for videos is limited to manual input.
- Usage and Account Set Up
Sign up/Sign In: Use of the tool does not require the creation of an external account or additional login.
Cost of Use: All aspects of the tool can be used free of charge.
Archiving: Users can archive, save, or import and export content or activity data in a variety of formats. It is possible to download meeting chat logs, as well as record video sessions.
Recorded videos should not be permanently archived in Zoom. See instructions on how to download videos/upload to TechConnect Cloud/3CMedia.
Data Privacy and Ownership: Users maintain ownership and copyright of their intellectual property/data. The user can keep data private and decide if/how data is to be shared. Contact SRJC Media Services for more information on Privacy and Zoom.
Canvas Integration: The tool can be embedded and fully integrated into Canvas while maintaining full functionality.
Operating Systems: Users can effectively utilize the tool with any standard, up-to-date operating system (i.e. Windows 10, Apple OSX, etc.).
Web Browser: Zoom settings can be accessed and modified by any standard, up-to-date web browser (i.e. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer 10, etc.). The Zoom stand-alone app is required to place and receive video calls.
Additional Tech Requirements: The tool requires the user to download the Zoom stand-alone application. This can be downloaded from the Zoom website: Download Zoom.
Required Equipment: Proper use of the tool requires equipment that is common and/or purchased at a low cost. A microphone and webcam are required to use Zoom.
- Limitations: The tool has some limited capacity to be fully accessible for users, or for materials to be made accessibility-friendly. While there are tools that will allow for Zoom sessions and recordings to be accessible, these require manual input from instructors, TA's, and/or students.
- Zoom accessibility features and compliance information.