COURSE NUMBER: BOT 85.5
INSTRUCTOR: Roseanne Powell
This course is intended for individuals interested in becoming legal secretaries or paralegals as well as individuals interested in learning about discovery, the most important component of a lawsuit. Focuses on law office secretarial procedures in discovery methods using interrogatories, production of documents, subpoenas, depositions; preparation, processing, and production of discovery documents and responses; and time frames and calendaring requirements.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Examine and analyze the purpose of discovery.
- Interpret the Discovery Act in the Code of Civil Procedure.
- Compare the various discovery documents and their purposes.
- Examine the legal requirements of each discovery document according to law.
- Select the time frames for service of the discovery documents and response to the documents.
- Calculate statutory time periods according to the requirements for legal calendaring.
- Create discovery documents according to standard legal format procedures.
- Generate responses to discovery documents.
- Properly organize discovery documents in preparation for a trial.
FOR MORE INFORMATION