ONLINE COLLEGE PROJECT OVERVIEW
The Online College Project provides incentives to encourage both full-time and part-time faculty to develop new online courses, not previously taught online. Courses can be based on new or existing curriculum. In order to best serve the needs of students, priority consideration is given to:
- Science, Math, General Education, and CE (formerly CTE)
- Courses with high enrollment demand
- Courses that are part of an existing or proposed online major or certificate (these are programs that have 50% or more of their courses online)
HOW TO APPLY
New agreements will be available based on district funding. The application/agreement (Word doc) is linked here for reference.
Before application to the OCP is approved:
- The Instructor must show completion of the Online Special Expertise certificate in Canvas.
- The proposed course must be approved for Distance Education delivery by the Curriculum Review Committee. (See more about the approval process on the Creating New Online Classes page.)
Courses will be developed in the Canvas course management system. The development process will include the use of the state’s rubric for online courses and several meetings with our Instructional Designer. Particular attention is paid to "regular and effective contact" between the instructor and students equal to that of a similar face-to-face section over the course of each week. The following elements of the OEI Course Design Rubric (in parentheses) should be evident in Canvas for each week of the course:
- Instructor participation in discussions and activities (B1)
- Student-to-student interactions are required as part of the course (B2)
Instructors will adhere to the state's policies regarding 1) Minimum Course Management System Use by Exchange Courses and 2) Use of Proprietary Materials.
The Online College Project offers faculty compensation for completing all Online College Project requirements. The latest application will be posted here (above) when ready with details on compensation.
If you have any questions, please contact the Distance Education Director.