The Online Education Initiative (OEI)
The Online Education Initiative (OEI) is a collaborative effort among California Community Colleges (CCCs) to ensure that significantly more students are able to complete their educational goals by increasing both access to and success in high-quality online courses.
The OEI is sponsored by the Foothill-De Anza Community College District, in partnership with the Butte-Glenn Community College District and its CCC Technology Center at Butte College as recipients of a $56.9 million five-year grant disbursed by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO). The Online Education Initiative represents a comprehensive and collaborative program that leverages best practices and technology to significantly increase the opportunity for higher education degree attainment in California.
California Community Colleges may choose to participate in OEI activities by taking advantage of:
- Shared resources such as the OEI Course Design Rubric, Online Learner Readiness Tutorials and @ONE workshops OR
- Shared resources and adopt Canvas as their course management system OR
- Shared resources, adopt Canvas, and coming soon, participate in the OEI Consortium along with the Course Exchange.
- Always consider what is best for students.
- Engage in “agile” project management.
- Innovation is “messy”.
- Consider the big picture.
- Involve everyone in the process.
INTERACTIVE TUTORIALS AND TOOLS FOR ONLINE SUCCESS
The Course Exchange
The Course Exchange component of the OEI will provide a seamless pathway for students to register for online courses across participating colleges without requiring students to complete separate application and matriculation processes.
See more about the Course Exchange:
- Video on the OEI – "Course Exchanges: The intended consequences"
- OEI Course Exchange page on the OEI site
- Q/As for Faculty and Staff, post support questions
- Ask questions about the Exchange and receive answers - there is currently a Course Exchange category.
- Student support site - currently there isn't a category for the Course Exchange but there will be soon.