Distance Education will try to assist faculty in their efforts to integrate content from their publisher with their Canvas courses. For some publishers, students and instructors will have seamless sign-in and grades will flow into the Canvas gradebook. In order to complete the process, instructors will generally need to acquire some "codes" from the publisher to ensure the correct text and materials are linked to the course.
Generally, there are two ways to access Publisher content and integrate it into your Canvas course.
- Look to see if a Publisher App has already been added to Canvas.
- Within your course, click on the Settings link from the course navigation.
- Click on the App tab, then click on the Installed link. It may take a moment or two to see the installed Apps appear.
- Add an Assignment
- In editing mode, scroll down to the Submission type.
- From the drop down menu choose External Tool.
- Click in the field under External Tool URL. In the Configure External Tool dialog box look for the publisher.
Publisher Content and Minimal Use of Course Management System
When publisher material is integrated into a course, instructors should keep in mind that in addition to the publisher content they should maintain certain resources in the college's course management system (Canvas). The Online Education Initiative has a helpful document that recommends what that content should be.
The basic requirement is that instructors use the college's course management system (Canvas) for:
- User authentication
- Providing a syllabus and/or other document(s) that include information pertaining to:
- How to contact the instructor
- Instructor response times
- The instructor's role in the course
- Methods for collecting and returning work
- Guidelines and expectations with respect to interaction
- Providing clear explanations of optional and/or required software, including any additional costs
- Providing clear information pertaining to course/institutional policies and support
See the Online Education Initiative Policy Regarding Minimum Course Management System. This document is targeted at "Exchange" courses, but is applicable for all online and hybrid courses using publisher content.
Accessibility and FERPA Laws
Before adopting a publisher site into your course you should ask the publisher for an accessibility statement and a FERPA statement. Most publishers will be prepared to furnish these statements. If a publisher cannot provide the statements, consider looking for another publisher.
See Board Policy 3.12.3 on Accessibility of Online Web-Based Instructional Materials:
"Online courses, resources, or materials created or substantially modified “in-house” or purchased or contracted from a third-party provider must be accessible to students with disabilities, unless doing so would fundamentally alter the nature of the instructional activity or result in an undue financial or administrative burden on the District."
As we work towards facilitating these integrations, information will be posted here to guide instructors on specific publisher guides and instructions with regards to Canvas.
Cengage Learning’s MindLinks provides seamless, powerful integration with Canvas, enabling instructors to add MindTap content to their courses, eliminating multiple logins for students.
Follow the procedures outlined in this PDF to configure your site to use MindLinks and to test connectivity to Cengage Learning.
Pearson LMS Integration Services - Scroll to the bottom of the page, click on the Canvas logo. Pick from the list of products, and then you will be given specific instructions to integrate that platform with Canvas. Also feel free to reach out to the SRJC Pearson representative:
Matthew Walker: (602) 750-8129
Or contact Instructor Technical Support: (877) 864-8847 M-F, 8AM to 8 PM, EST
The Macmillan app has been installed in Canvas and is accessed in Modules; when you add an item, choose External Tool. The first semester you use it, import LaunchPad content into your Canvas course. Each semester, pair your Canvas course with a LaunchPad course. Contact your publisher representative for access key and more information.
McGraw Hill - MH Campus
MH Campus has been installed in Canvas, accessed in the Modules when you add an item, choose External Tool. Contact your publisher representative for access key and more information.